Full course description
This course examines processes and strategies to assist candidates in improving content vocabulary, comprehension, and writing skills of their students in order to facilitate students' ability to work with discipline-specific materials. Literacy strategies will be emphasized and students will contextualize content for their individual academic disciplines and address density of language in each content area.
- Identify key, discipline-specific vocabulary terms and effective methods of teaching those terms
- Select informational text sources that relate to discipline-specific learning objectives
- Organize multiple textual sources to deepen learning of discipline-specific learning objectives
- Develop higher-order thinking questions in alignment to Depth of Knowledge requirements
- Identify and apply effective literacy instructional methods.